I saw an episode of David Letterman or Jay Leno a few years back where he and his crew went out on the streets and asked people if they knew what the 10 commandments were. Most people could only name two of them and one person didn’t even know what the 10 commandments even were!
They then went on to ask about the 7 deadly sins and most people had never even heard of the 7 deadly sins, either (and I’ll admit that even “I” didn’t know about the 7 deadly sins until watching the movie “Seven”, starring Brad Pitt).
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me (this includes movie stars, athletes, musicians, money, etc.)
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image (a carved image of Jesus Christ or a statue of the virgin Mary for example)
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain (saying “Jesus Christ” or “God” in any type of sentence that is NOT talking about God, including say “J!”, “J Christ!” or “God D-It!”)
4. Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy (the actual Jewish Sabbath is Saturday and is from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown).
5. Honor thy mother and thy father (respect their advice, age and heritage)
6. Thou shalt not kill (that includes killing your self, since your body is supposed to be your “temple”, therefore, you mustn’t do anything to defile it).
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery (even to lust after someone is to commit adultery in your heart!)
8. Thou shalt not steal (even if it’s just 1 penny or something as simple as a paper clip, etc.!)
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor (no lying, cheating on a test, etc.)
10. Thou shalt not covet anything that is thy neighbor’s (no envying of things/talents that belong to others)
The 7 Deadly Sins (evident in the Brad Pitt movie “Seven”):
1. Greed (think ENRON scandal or making ethanol fuel out of corn, when millions of people across the world are STARVING!)
2. Sloth (laying around, laziness, not doing anything for days on end)
3. Envy (wanting what others have: the ONLY exception is “righteous envy” is which a person wants to have more faith in God)
4. Gluttony (over-eating)
5. Pride (thinking our gifts in life – be it writing, painting, etc. are from ourselves and not God)
6. Lust (looking at someone in a sexual manner, outside of marriage)
7. Wrath (severe anger and/or hating God or hating someone in general without cause)
And in the following video, it would “seem” as though they are “having a party” at mocking the 7 deadly sins…….
And back in the day, the ancient Jewish people had over 600+ ordinances that they were expected to comply with (including Kosher dietary laws, temple laws & regulations, etc.) The 10 commandments were SEPARATE from the 600 or so “ordinances”. The 10 commandments were written by God himself and given to Moses on tablets while Moses was the one who wrote the 600+ ordinances, as ordained by God. And the 7 deadly sins are a summary of the sins addressed in Jesus’s Sermon on the Mount in the New Testament, book of Matthew, chapters 5 to 7.