Believe me, this goes just as much for ME as for ANYONE, here!
We can know every word of scripture there is to know………but if we don’t DIRECTLY APPLY what we know about the Word of God to our LIVES, then the Word of God has NO true *root* in us; in our mind, heart, body or SOUL!
James 1: 19-25 in the New Testament states: “Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed”
In other words, James 1:19-25’s telling us not just to READ about the Word of God but to APPLY the Word of God DIRECTLY to our lives!
The Written Word of God (The Bible) tells us to do MANY things! For example, we are to:
- Help those less fortunate than us. When you pass by a homeless person (rather or not they have a sign asking for money/food), do you actively GIVE them a meal or money for some food, for instance?
- Preach the gospel of Salvation/Jesus Christ to others. Are you actively telling others about Jesus Christ/Almighty Yeshua and how he’s the ONLY way to Salvation, in some way, shape or form? Be it a blog, ministry, Youtube videos, in person testimony, etc.?
- Forgive those who’ve hurt us. Have you forgiven all the people who’ve hurt you? If not, have you PRAYED to be ABLE to forgive them? The bible says that if WE don’t forgive OTHERS for things they’ve done against US, that the Lord also won’t forgive OUR “sins/trespasses” against HIM/ALMIGHTY GOD!
- Get full-water immersion baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. As soon as we truly BELIEVE in Jesus Christ and his gospel, we should desire to get full-water-immersion baptized in his name and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit!
- Have no idols or graven images! Have you gotten rid of that Buddha or Krishna statue? That golden “trophy”? The dream catcher? Carved images? Hung paintings of this or that on the wall? Statues (EVEN IF and *ESPECIALLY IF* they’re *Catholic saints/DEMONS*?) Images of dragons, Darth Vader, Harry Potter characters, etc?
- Trust in the Lord Jesus Christ AND his words! Have you TRULY trusted Jesus Christ with your LIFE? Would you TRULY trust Jesus Christ to get you through THE MOST difficult situations in your life such as witnessing to homosexuals, knowing exactly what to do if and when someone points a gun at your head, etc.? And do you trust that the bible is 100% sure and that everything will come to pass as the Lord SAYS it will come to pass?
- Love our neighbor as ourselves. Have you hated anyone recently? If so, you haven’t been truly applying the written Word of God to your life!
- ETC. ETC., YOU GET THE POINT!
And then, Matthew 25: 14-3o, we get the Parable of the Faith Servant Vs. Disobedient Servant and it goes like THIS:
“For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents. And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two. But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord’s money.
After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents. For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth”.
In this case, “talents” is referring to ancient biblical “gold or silver coins” (as far as I know). But in MY opinion, it can also have double-meaning. In TODAY’S terms, the “talents” COULD be money in SOME cases, but in many others, it can also mean “talents” and “abilities” (IN GENERAL).
The bible says in Matthew 25:15 “And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey“.
So in other words, in the parable, each man was given talents, according to his “ability”. What does “ability” mean in this case? Does it mean workmanship ability in the temporal working world? Or is it talking about workmanship ability in the SPIRITUAL world? Or could it be a combination of BOTH? The bible doesn’t really specify. But there’s no doubt in my mind that if Jesus were to speak this parable to the modern day world of 2015, that he’d be referring to BOTH.
Romans 12: 6-8 states: “Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness”.
Truth be told, we ALL have different talents & abilities. And it’s how we USE those talents and abilities to further the kingdom of God on Earth that matters and that’ll also show WHERE we’ll stand with God/Jesus Christ on the fateful Day of Judgement!
For example, are you good at writing? Start a blog, write a book, produce Facebook notes about Jesus/Salvation, etc. Are you good at photography? Use photography to GLORIFY God’s creation! Are you a good public speaker? Get involved in politics or podcasting/radio or another public forum, in order to glorify the God of the bible! Do you have the power of persuasion? Perhaps street preaching might be good for you.
Are you good at learning and/or speaking foreign languages? Perhaps a missionary trip’s in store for you. Are you good at mathematics? Perhaps the Lord God wants you to use your mathematical abilities to talk about the MATHEMATICAL IMPOSSIBILITY of anything other than Jesus Christ BEING the fulfilled Messiah of Mankind [as over 330+ Old Testament Messianic prophecies were fulfilled by Jesus Christ in the New Testament…….the statistical chances that even ONE man could simultaneously fulfill even just 48 of these, is ASTRONOMICAL BEYOND COMPARE!]
Are you artistically gifted? You could use your art to GLORIFY God by illustrating Christian books or stories, creating beautiful Christian bible verse cards or creating 3D animated Christian-themed movies or videogames, etc. Are you gifted at singing? You could use your good singing voice to GLORIFY God and to USE your beautiful God-given voice to motivate others to worship the Lord in spirit and in truth! You get the picture……..
But basically, we are use our “spiritual gifts” and “talents” in order to bring HIM glory and in order to FURTHER the Kingdom of God on Earth! And remember that the Kingdom of God on Earth lives WITHIN us! We are to be the EMBODIMENT of that Kingdom!
Because remember, church is not a place we “go to”, for we “ARE” the church! We, the body/assembly of believers are “the church”! Therefore, we are not “to GO to church”, we are to BE “the church!”
That’s essentially what it means to be a DOER of the written word of God (the bible) and not just a HEARER, ONLY!
I hope and pray that ALL who read this will become DOERS of the written Word of God (the bible) and not just hearers, only! Amen.